Wednesday, April 10, 2013

a few random things

Whew! I have been so tired the last couple of nights, I have just gone straight to bed.  Not good for schoolwork or blogs... Anyway, I just wanted to jot a few things down so I don't forget.

Katya's definition of satire on her Gulliver's Travels exam:  "Saying something important in a fun way."  I really like that definition.  And did I mention, I've really enjoyed reading with Katya this year.  I can't believe how much she's read!  We've read Robinson Crusoe, Island of the Blue Dolphins, The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Pollyanna, Caddie Woodlawn, and tons of short stories and poetry.  Jack read lots of short stories as well this year, and one book, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  And that's just for school.  Jack and Katya both LOVE Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  Jack looks at it almost every day.  We just finished Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator as a family, Katya is currently reading The Wide-Awake Princess (about Sleeping Beauty's sister!), and she is listening to Black Beauty.  I found this awesome website:  booksshouldbefree.com that has TONS of free audio books.  All the classics, adult and children, fiction and non, are there.  She loves having some time to listen to a book.  I think it is just a fun new way to hear a story.  I tried this with the other kids, but they were not as excited.  Jack listened to about 5 minutes of Peter Pan, but he did listen to They Might Be Giants on headphones while he swept the kitchen.  He loved it and was dancing all over the place.  I'll have to try that more often for those not so fun tasks.  Margot did the same with her Anderson's Fairy Tales.  Maybe they're just too young; I'm not sure.  But I can force them to listen to the in the car!  We listened to Old Testament Stories and Greek Myths on CDs this weekend on our trip to and from Marietta.  They came with Jack's school books/supplies!  I am currently reading Anna Karenina.  That means I am trying to remember to pull out my phone and read it in my few spare moments a day.  I might read a couple pages a day.  Oh well, I'll have more time someday.  I remember when I was in undergrad I don't think I read a book for pleasure the entire time!  I always felt guilty like I should be reading a textbook instead.

Katya also accompanied us for Family Home Evening on Monday.  Yes, you read that right!  I was so excited.  She played Follow the Prophet and we sang along.  It was awesome.  She is really growing up.  Thanks to Grandma for being such a good piano teacher.  I don't know what we will do without her for 2 years!:(

And I don't know what "sweet nothings" Jack whispered in Katie's ear this weekend, but last night he whispered to me, "You're sooo beautiful...and pretty!"  Made my day...

No comments:

We:

My photo
Dahlonega, Georgia, United States
Rebekah, Scott, Katya, Jack, Margot, Lucy and Dexter

Up in der Mountains

Up in der Mountains
blood mtn shelter