Monday, December 13, 2004

Turning Japanese



While I don't have my brother's vigor for international politics, I do try to notice trends through out the world. This one for instance. This car above is the new Volkswagen Jetta. "But Scott" you say "that looks like a low end Toyota vehicle, or perhaps an American vehicle trying to sport some Asian flavor". "Indeed" I would respond; such is the state of affairs in the world. The days of imperialistic reign are done away with, we have it in our minds that to be ruled by a monarch, dictator or some other supreme leader is a terrible crime on humanity. Freedoms are exchanged for hierarchy favors and the like. I say "not so". The benefits of living in a like commune are traditions, an unadulterated culture, a great respect for those that have come before you, and in most cases a set of beliefs that are followed throughout a society. While in Italy, if you spoke to anyone over 50 yeas old, they would tell you how much better Italy was when under Fascist reign. Children had respect for their elders, everyone went to church, and everyone loved being in the army. Now a days, their political party changes on almost a yearly basis, ,and people have little respect for their government, military, and cultural traditions are corroding away daily. Japan is another fine example. Though many traditions and basis for beliefs are very similar as they were a thousand years ago, they are also eroding away to the onset of a self indulgent - centered frame of mind. To sum it up, the world is becoming, albeit somewhat slower in areas, like the grand old U.S. of A. Freedom is wonderful, but also terribly damaging when taken for granted. We demand it for ourselves, but feel that others should live how we think they ought to. I hope that you will excuse these rash generalizations, I was looking for a good way of displaying the new Jetta without looking like I am obsessed with cars, a selfish, materialistic disease that I can't seem to shake completely, much like my Father's head cold, or Taylor's unvarying state of health. In all honesty though, I do feel that the world is headed down one path together, a great conglomerate that will have an end result of the eventual dividing of good and evil, but that's another story.

1 comment:

briant said...

what ever happened to fahrfegnugen?

We:

My photo
Dahlonega, Georgia, United States
Rebekah, Scott, Katya, Jack, Margot, Lucy and Dexter

Up in der Mountains

Up in der Mountains
blood mtn shelter

Blog Archive